SA outage gets third review

Snowtown Wind Farm

A third review into South Australia’s power outage last week has been announced.

The review outlined on Tuesday is to look into the circumstances of the blackout including the level of preparedness, response and recover plans and will be headed by former South Australian police commissioner Gary Burns.

The Australian Energy Market Operator will be looking at technical issues concerning generation and transmission surrounding the blackout and the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) Energy Council will be looking at national issues, this review will focus solely on South Australia.

In announcing it, South Australian Premier Jay Weatherill said it was important to conduct a thorough review.

“There are always lessons that can be learned from an extreme weather event such as this, so it’s important there’s a thorough, independent review,” Mr Weatherill said.