Construction begins on Neoen’s green power hub

Neoen has broken ground on its Bulgana Green Power Hub (BGPH) site in Victoria this week.

Targeted for delivery in August 2019, the $350 million project will generate more than 740,000MWh of emission-free, renewable energy every year.

The integrated energy facility will comprise a 194MW wind farm with Siemens-Gamesa wind turbines, combined with a 20MW/34MWh lithium-ion battery provided by Tesla.

The Victorian government has committed to a 15-year support agreement, a move that will contribute significantly to the Victorian Renewable Energy Target (VRET), while Nectar Farms has signed a 10-year power purchase agreement (PPA) for the supply of competitive and reliable energy to its glasshouse facility.

Nectar Farms will take up to 15 per cent of the energy produced by the Green Power Hub, with the remaining 85 per cent going directly into the grid.

This project will make the advanced agriculture facility the world’s first ever crop farm to be completely powered by renewable energy.

“This is an exciting next step in delivering affordable, sustainable and clean energy – creating jobs right across Victoria,” Victorian Energy Minister Lily D’Ambrosio said.

“We’re reducing greenhouse gas emissions, and the Bulgana Green Power Hub is helping us meet our ambitious renewable energy targets.”

At the peak of construction, the integrated wind farm and battery storage facility will create up to 230 new jobs in the Stawell region.

Neoen Australia managing director Franck Woitiez said the continued progress of the 100 per cent Neoen-owned project would not have been possible without the support of the Victorian government and the wider community.

“We are delighted to commence construction on BGPH which is bringing a lot of opportunities in the community,” he said.

“A lot of hard work has gone into ensuring the success of the facility, which will create a positive knock-on effect on the local people and economy.

“We will continue to work closely with the council, neighbours and community at large and ensure any disruptions as a result of construction are kept to the absolute minimum.”

As part of the company’s commitment to Stawell and to signify the next phase of the project, a $120,000 per annum BGPH Community Fund will be launched soon.