Origin Energy has announced the 12 winners of their littleBIGidea program out of 950 entries received from around Australia.
The littleBIGideas awards were created to encourage children to think creatively about how to solve real world problems, and aims to promote problem-solving skills, curiosity and adaptability.
The final 12 winners take away $1500 worth of prizes for themselves and schools and will present their ideas to a panel. The overall winner will win a trip to NASA.
Origin Energy Retail general manager John Briskin said the quality of the entries was extraordinary and the entrants should be proud.
“If the quality of these entries is anything to go by, then Australia’s innovation future is in extremely good hands,” he said.
Former host of the ABC’s New Inventors program and awards judge James O’Loghlin said the entries had potential to be developed commercially.
““This year’s winning littleBIGideas have impressed the judges with their interesting use of new and existing technologies to solve problems, with some ideas showing real potential to be developed and find a market.”
The 2016 award winners and their inventions are:
Grade 3 & Grade 4:
• Band Aid Dispenser: Bridgette Veneris, St Joseph’s College, Chelsea, VIC
• InvisiTel: Daniel Patterson, Mulyan Public School, Cowra, NSW
• Help the Homeless: Olivia Caroline Maddison, St Hilda’s, Southport, QLD
• MediPoles: Ava Hickox, Essex Heights Primary School, Mount Waverley, VIC
Grade 5 & Grade 6:
• Food Recycling App: Dylan Bathgate, St Edmonds College, Woodend QLD
• Portion Control Device: Calvin Willsea, Butler Primary School, Butler, WA
• DodechaheDRONE: Ethan Chong, St Leonard’s College, Brighton, VIC
• Boundary Light: Molly Conroy, Padbury Catholic Primary School, Padbury, WA
Year 7 & Year 8:
• Waste Not App: Imogen Wilkes-Bowes, St Francis de Sales Regional College, Leeton, NSW
• Smart Sprinkler: Kern Mitchell, Colonel Light Gardens Primary School, SA
• Vehicle Black Spot: Amberley Matuszkiewicz, Perth College, Mount Lawley, WA
• Car Lock Reminder: Rebecca Westaway, Fountain Gate Secondary College, VIC